Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

Can a lens implant be removed and replaced with another

An incorrect implant was done and was corrected with lasex surgery but it didn''t change the vision. Can anything be done?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 8 years ago.
I am an ophthalmologist,
Could your provide some more details-
-Were you using spectacles before the implant? If yes, what power?
- What was your vision after the implant? What was the power of the implant? Wat was the power of the spectacle correction after the implant?
- How much correction was done with LASIK?
- Do you have any other illness like diabetes/hypertension?
- Has the retina been examined? If yes, is it healthy?
- How is the vision in the other eye?
Dr. PG
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had cataract surgery. After months of various contact lenses one was found that would let me read without glasses but use glasses for my distance vision. The replacement lens implant was the wrong prescription (too far) and lasex was done to bring in the distance. It was brought in too close and I was told it would become more distant in a few months. It didn't and a well known ophthamologist said that it doesn't. Do I have any options such as a new implant? I do have optic neuropathy which is being treated and has been the same for years.

What can be done to help if anything?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I wore glasses but read without them do not know strength
After the implant the vision was too long (left eye) to read
The LASIK correction made the vision too short. I was told it would lengthen in a few months. It did not and another ophthamologist said it doesn't
I have no other illnesses
The retina has some damage but is being treated and had not worsened over many years. Eschemic optic neurophathy.
My other eye needs a cataract procedure but is only a 2.
The fact that you wore spectacles and read without them indicate that you were using myopic glasses i.e. minus power glasses. After cataract surgery, if your sight was lengthened (or you were able to read near better and the far objects), then an undercorrection was done in your case. That means an intraocular lens with lower power was implanted. LASIK corrected that problem. At present you are having a good far vision and decreased vision for near reading. Your vision will not lengthen with time. You will need glasses for reading. This is the normal outcome after a cataract surgery with intraocular lens implantation. Only if a multifocal intraocular lens is implanted, then both far and near vision are corrected. I would not advise removal of the implanted lens. That can lead to complications in the eye.
I hope this information is helpful
Dr. PG