Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I woke up during the night wheezing badly and had a taste ...

I woke up during the night wheezing badly and had a taste in my mouth like I had thrown up. ( I hadn''t) In about 30 minutes I was breathing better. My stomach isn''t great this morning but my breathing is fine. I am on an inhaler which I have forgot to use the last few days but this is a first on waking during the night. Any help would be appreciated. I''m female and 62 and scared.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

You may have regurgitated a little bit of acid that backed up from your stomach, during your sleep. This would cause you to lose your breath and wake you up. If you have an acid reflux problem, then you can take an acid reducer, such as prilosec, which you can purchase over the counter. At this time, use the inhaler as it was prescribed. Although, it can be a scary feeling, I think it was an isolated incident. Sleep with your head propped up on 2 pillows. Reduce intake of fried or spicy foods and don't eat for at least 2 hours befor going to bed.

Terry