Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

her hands in first grade nonstop..aches and pains in neck and back

my daughter aged 18 has been diagnosed with many things, ADD, bipolar, depression, etc. does''t fit into any of these really, I was talking to her sisters last night and it is the first time I have heard them say outloud what I have always thought. My daughter described it that she has always been a little off, a little different, she developed fairly normally but at about 4 or so started with strange movements, tics, fidgeting, started flapping her hands in first grade nonstop - I put braces on them to get her to stop she did but went to rubbing her hands together etc... has always complained of aches and pains in neck and back. Did well in school but with my constant help - always forgot assignments, books at school. etc. Has never really understood what I try to explain to her as private space - gets real close to people, made friends easily but switched friends alot. In high school began to get mad and depressedm lashing out hurting self. etc.began drug use -help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Hello Mam

I am not able to comment on whether the diagnosis was right or wrong but children who are diagnosed with ADHD may develop these problems in adoloscence and Adulthood.

ADHD consist of a persistent pattern of inattention and or Hyperactivity and impulsive behavior,and some symptoms must be present before the age of 7 years to make the diagnosis according to the diagnostic criteria.

Course of ADHD is variable and the symptoms may persist into adoloscence or adult life also.
Most patients with this disorder undergo partial remmision and may deveolp Substance use disorder,Mood disorder and Antisocial behavior in later life.
Problems related to learning continues throughout life.

Please do consult a good Psychiatrist If this is the case, and her medicines should be continued .

Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..