Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

celexa or paxil ?? Also, is paxil more harmful to the body over time

I was wondering what medication do you feel would do a better job at controlling anxiety issues ; celexa or paxil ?? Also, is paxil more harmful to the body over time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Hi Karen

As we were not able to complete our chat I am giving you my view here.

First of all Celexa is not the updated version and you may consult him about the option of using Lexapro (Escitalopram)/Sertraline which are also very useful in Anxiety related disorder and are claimed to have less side effects as compard to Celexa.

If patients are having sleep related problems also,what we do is to add a low dose of Mirtazapine(another Antidepressant) at night which is also a very good sedative eliminating the need of taking sleeping pills,besides it also counteract certain side effects of another SSRIs such as Celexa/Lexapro.

You may discuss all these alternatives with your treating doctor,although I would also suggest you to consult a Psychiatrist for your problems.

Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..