Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I recently came off Zyprexa (olanzepine) - very slowly.

I recently came off Zyprexa (olanzepine) - very slowly. The upside, I lost 50 pounds. The down side - I am freezing and itching all the time. My doctor ran blood tests and my iron and thyroid are fine.   I was on Zyprexa for 11 years. I am so glad I am off (and experiencing no psychiatric complications - I think I was misdiagnosed), but the extreme itchiness and coldness is quite bothersome.

Hello

With Olanzapine weight gain is reported much more commonly as compared to other Anti Psychotic drugs and it is a good news that you have lost 50 pounds.

Olanzapine requires a slow down titration of over 6 to 8 weeks

Symptoms which your reporting after stopping Olanzapine that too slowly, honestly speaking I have never noted clinically as well as seen in literature .I have seen patients taking this drug for say 13 to 15 years in low dose and who have stopped somewhat abruptly but never reported these types of symptoms.

In my view it is also possible that there may be some other reason for your current symptoms which do require a complete clinical evaluation by Physician.

Regards
---------------------------------------
Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..