A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My knuckle hurts

My 2nd knuckle on my middle finger on left hand hurts when i touch it, but REALLY hurts when I bend it all the way down - like when making a fist OUCH ! I have been playing Guitar Hero quite a bit - which I am old enough to know better (36). Is it from that or maybe something else , arthritis perhaps? It hurts always, but sometimes worse than others (like after playing Guitar Hero). It has been this way for about 3-4 days and it keeps getting worse.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. This is probably an overuse injury. These are generally treated with ice, rest and anti-inflammatory medication like Advil, Motrin, or Aleve. When applying ice, wrap it in a washcloth or thin towel and apply for just 5-10 minutes at a time several times a day for 2-3 days. Then stop. The idea is for it to be cool, not frozen as this could damage it worse. I would suggest no Guitar Hero for a week or two. If it isn't better in a week, you should see your doctor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks !! I will take your advice and do just what you suggested. Sounds like sound advice ! I figured it was due to overuse, but wanted an expert opinion without making a trip to the Dr.

Thanks So much !