Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi, I have been experiencing dizziness and numbness in my ...

Hi, I have been experiencing dizziness and numbness in my right arm for about a week now. I could be driving my car down the street and get dizzy enough to where I do not want to drive. When I wake in the morning I am dizzy, or just sitting on the couch watching TV. If I look up or down, I get dizzy as well. This is accompanied by occasional numbness in my right arm. I am a female, 23, 130lbs , a smoker and very occasional drinker and I have been taking birth control for 10 years. I have no history of this, nor do i have an allergies, diseases, or disorders that I know of. I have an active job as a maid, and I am in good shape. I do not have symptoms ALL the time, but enough to concern me. I am uninsured, and it would hurt me a lot financially to go to the doctor, but I am getting concerned. Thanks in advance for any advise or possible causes of my symptoms.

Greetings.

The dizziness with the neck movements and occasional numbness in right arm can be because of the cervical spine disease. If you have any history of neck injury or whiplash, this is further substantiated. The numbness is explained on the basis of pinched nerves in the neck because of the herniated disc in the cervical spine and so do the dizziness which is called as cervicogenic dizziness or cervical vertigo. Still, the investigations like MRI are needed to establish the diagnosis and ear causes should be ruled out for the dizziness. Read here on this link;

http://www.american-hearing.org/disorders/central/cervical_vertigo.html

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its been quite a few days since any numbness in my arm, I think that it may have subsided. My boyfriend and I have annual passes to a local attraction here in Orlando. We go about once a month and ride several roller coasters. Last time we went was 2 weeks ago. I have no history of neck pain or whiplash, and I feel no physical pain. I woke up this morning and was very dizzy, it seems to be worse in the morning. I almost fell in the shower after i woke up , and then my boss sent me home from work today. Can you explain why it may be worse in the morning? I feel dizzy most of the day, but there are times when I feel ok. I can afford to see a doctor but I don't have money for MRI's or Cat scans, I'm kind of hoping this will pass. What would you do?

A dizziness of this magnitude will need thorough evaluation. A dizziness associated with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is profound in morning time. Out internal ear is responsible for the balance and is connected to the brain. Any dizziness will need certain tests by an ENT specialist to assess its function and role in the dizziness. The roller coaster rides sometimes can give jerks to cervical spine and a cervicogenic vertigo can be precipitated. But in your case, internal ear inflammation, BPPV, meniere's disease etc should be first ruled out or ruled in for the dizziness. Read the causes and other details of the dizziness;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dizziness/DS00435/DSECTION=causes

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Went to the doctor yesterday and she prescribed me Meclazine and Flonase and told me to take Claratin. She thinks the tube running from my ear to the back of my throat may be inflamed causing unequal pressure in/out of my ear causing dizziness. She thinks that the inflammation may be due to allergies. I started taking the the medicine last night and it seems to have cleared up the diziness. This should be my last post before I accept. Do you have any more input into her diagnosis?

Thanks,
Jen

Hello Jen,

Meclizine does help in dizziness and the eustachian tube blockage / middle ear problem can cause imbalance and may sometimes cause the symptom. So taking these medications is good first step towards the therapeutic diagnosis and I would agree to the treatment.

Dr. Arun