How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Keith Your Own Question
Keith, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 27
Experience:  Board Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner. 14 years as a nurse, 8 as an ortho NP.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Keith is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lump under my skin on my upper inner leg. It is ...

This answer was rated:

I have a lump under my skin on my upper inner leg. It is round about 1 inch in diameter. It does't hurt. I've had this for more than 1 year. It is not red. What is this, and how to get rid of it?

If the lump is moveable, and feels somewhat soft, it may be a benign (NOT cancer) fatty tumor called a lipoma. They can be removed with a simple procedure, possibly even in the doctor's office with a local anesthetic. If it is more firm, and doesn't move, and seems to be connected to a pore, or if you can squeeze out some white cheesy stuff, then it is most likely a sebaceous cyst, which is something like a giant zit. It too can be removed the same way.

It the lump is hard, or getting bigger, or feels spiky or jagged, then you should see someone about it. Also if it becomes red, painful, or changes color. Come to think of it, given that you are asking the question you must be a little concerned about it. Go and see your doctor. If that doesn't work, ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

Good luck!

Keith and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you