Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

Gp..IBS and is this Healthy Bowel Formula dangerous and a con

Hi, I''ve been diagnosed with IBS and am currently taking Colofac as prescribed from my Gp. I found a site on the net listing the following that claims to cure IBS; One packet, twice a day with meals- 150mg 5HTP, Magnesium citrate 300mg and Pancreatic digestive enzymes 8x. Is it possible to cure IBS and is this ''Healthy Bowel Formula'' dangerous and a con??
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Sabrina,

IBS is a common digestive disorder. Signs and symptoms are vartable and may include abdominal cramping, gas and bloating, diarrhea and or constipation. The best treatment is to reduce stress, adjust dietary intake. It helps to recognize trigger foods and then you can avoid them. Magnesium Citrate is a strong bowel cleanser that is typically used prior to colonoscopy to completely cleanse the bowels. I do not recommend this as it has a very potent effect. "Magnesium supplements in pill form, such as magnesium oxide, can be useful as a mild laxative for constipation sufferers." This is a short term laxative.

Digestive enzymes can be good and helpful because they do aide digestion. If you want to take a natural approach or homeopathic one, then I suggest that you go into the local healthfood store or natural market for consultation. They can advise you on which enzymes to take for your specific symptoms.I would rather you do this than trying a supplement found on the internet.

If you take a look at the website above you will see some comfortable non invasive ways to treat IBS., and it will give you a good overview of this syndrome.

Let me know if I can help you further.