Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

Hello! I have pain in my navel. I woke up and it was a ...

Hello! I have pain in my navel. I woke up and it was a little swollen. The pain has not increased, but a couple of weeks ago I had a urinary tract infection that took two weeks to go away with over the counter medication. Thank you so much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Robin,

Where did you have pain when you had the UTI?

Do have any redness in the navel?

Any drainage or odor in your navel?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX await your reply!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Terry

Thanks for responding. Generally the pain with the UTI was when I urinated and it was pretty signficant pain. I took Uristat for two weeks straight. When I woke up this morning, there was a very slight discharge from my navel but no particular odor. That seems to have gone away. There is a small lump at the uppermost portion of the belly button.   

Thank you again
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like you have an infection in your navel. Apply hot/warm compresses frequently. Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swab in and around your belly button. Then apply an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin or polysporin. Do this a few times a day. If the swelling does not reduce and the pain continues, you will have to see the doctor for a prescription antibiotic. By the way, what color was the discharge?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Terry

Thanks ...the discharge was clear. I will follow your instructions and see a doctor if anything changes. Best,