Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am having extreme hip pain upon weight bearing and ...

I am having extreme hip pain upon weight bearing and moving the leg. It does not hurt at all when at rest, unless I move my leg. I have had x-ray and c-scan, both show no fractures. I have had cortizone injections and oral steroids, non of which helped. Please help!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

What specialist have you consulted? Have you been to physical therapy? Was your lumbosacral spine examined or imaging done? Do you have history of any trauma or accident?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: My PCP did cortozone injection and perscribed oral steroids, when this did not help, he sent me for x-rays. X-rays showed no fractures, he then sent me for cat-scan, just called me with the results of that today, scan showed no hip abnormalities. I have an apt with ortho Monday. Pain is incredable upon movement of leg, i feel like it is popping in and out of socket, but scan should show that, right?
History, geez, are you ready for this? I have had between 15-17 surgeries on my legs. Most of which were on my right leg (this current pain is my left leg, previously call my "good leg:(" My last surgery (approx 1 year ago) was a knee replacement on my right leg, which did significantly change my gait, as my R. knee was severly damaged and caused a significant limp. Because of this change of gait, my pcp's first thought was bursitus in the "good hip", but cortozone and steriods did not help, that is why he then suspected a fracture, but that wasnt it either.........Original issue leading to all the mentioned surgeries was a gun shot wound invetro (sp?) my mother was 8 months pregnant when she was shot. the bullet went in my hip and came out my back, affecting lower extremities (no sensation in right leg below the knee), bladder and kidneys. (hows that for a history?)

This is mind boggling. Just a Hollywood script. But gave me a clue and indication for the diagnosis. I was perplexed with your amount of pain being just 40 years of age.

The first thing in consideration obviously would be osteoarthritis. Second would be looking for avascular necrosis. I would also look to your back for causing aggravation of this problem by some abnormality there, like scoliosis and pinched nerves there. An MRI is better investigation than the CT scan to assess the joints and back. Apart from MRI, according to the findings, bone scan may also be needed. Braces (you must be knowing very well about them), deep electrotherapy (electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis), physical therapy, analgesics, etc would be helpful.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cant imagine osteoarthritis having such a suden onset? would avascular necrosis have a sudden onset? I have a TENS unit (sp?) can i try electronic stimulation on my own? PT is impossible at the moment, any movement causes extreme pain. Is it possible for bursitus to cause such extreme pain? PCP again put me on oral steroids (to get me through the weekend till my apt. with Ortho on Monday). I have also been prescribed celebrex, but have pretty much discontinued use as it didnt seem to be having any affect. Have Lortab and percocet, but havent been taking those either cuz i dont want to feel drugged-and i am pain free when not moving...and they dont seem to help with the extreme pain upon movement. Sorry to go on and on, just picking your brain i guess....i am scheduled to go out of town next week for work and sooooooo am trying to "heal myself" before Monday...any suggestions for home care would be greatly appreciated.

All these chronic conditions many at times do present with acute onset of presentation, when there is abnormal weight bearing. Without an examination, it is difficult to give you the diagnosis, but bursitis of any sort has some pain free movements and weight bearing should be not so painful.

I won't agree with your steroid treatment. In the absence of diagnosis, it is not indicated. But some Lortab and Percocet is indicated. TENS is good and you can use it as much as you can, although it too has some tolerance. Not much, I can say as a home treatment but local analgesic patch should be helpful. So do the hot fomentation or Ice (according to your preference).

Dr. Arun