Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

I was told this morning that I have retinal fibrosis.

I was told this morning that I have retinal fibrosis. Exactly what is it, what is the treatment and will it affect my vision. I did not have it 6 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Patty replied 6 years ago.

Hi Grizala,

Here are some links about retinal fibrosis.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1804382

This is from the above link.

Fibrosis commonly refers to the response of a tissue to injury. The injury can occur as a result of a mechanical wound or various metabolic malfunctions, including responses to inflammation, ischemia, and degenerative disease. The local response to such injuries includes infiltration by inflammatory cells, neovascularization, altered vascular permeability, proliferation of fibroblasts and fibroblast-like cells, modification of the ECM, and, ultimately, some sort of resolution of the damaged tissue. The CNS is highly specialized in many ways, including the types of inflammatory and wound-healing cells present. Since the retina is part of the CNS, its response to injury utilizes mechanisms very similar to those observed in the rest of the brain; this is true not only for the wound-healing response but also for utilization of migratory cues functional during development of the neuronal and vascular components of this highly organized tissue (1, 2). As discussed below, the response of the anterior segment of the eye to wound healing more closely resembles the response of non-CNS tissues than do such events in the posterior segment or the eye. Therefore, I refer to such wound-healing events in the anterior segment as fibrosis, whereas comparable events in the retina are referred to as gliosis. Although such distinction is somewhat artificial, it does serve to differentiate between the fibroblasts and glial cells that effect the wound-healing and scar-formation events.

http://www.retinamd.com/macular_pucker.htm

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks,

Patty

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don't forget to click the *ACCEPT* button and please take a moment to leave me *POSITIVE* feedback. A BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understood very little of the answer, other than fibrosis is a 'wound' response. I still have no idea as to treatment, prognosis,or any really helpful information. Thank you Patty for trying, but looks like you had the same problem that I did, that there is little about it on the web.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Patty's Post: Altho the nurse did her best, XXXXX XXXXX is pshyciatry(not spelled right, sorry). She sent me an article that was difficult to understand and really did not address all of my question. I am willing to wait until an eye specialist can answer the question as I know this is a holiday weekend. Further info on my retinal fibrosis as told to me by my doctor. He said it just sometimes occurs, does not seem to be connected to any this else such as macular degeneration. He said he would send me to a retinal specialist after I get my cataracts taken care of and he would 'scrape' the retina. I really would like further info that I can understand and is more relative as it seems the article talked about stem cell therapies that were experimental. Didn't really understand much of the article.

Thank you for any help in this matter.
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 6 years ago.
I am an Ophthalmologist and am working as a vitreo-retinal surgeon. I would like to help you. Can you give me some more information-
- how much is the vision in your eyes as documented by your doctor (if you have the record)?
- do you have any long term illnesses like diabetes, hypertension etc?
- is there any distortion of images when you see?
- was a retinal angiography done for you?
Regards,
Dr. PG
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Dr. PG With glasses I see pretty well, except I am about to have cataract surgery.   This was found by accident and the eye doctor was very supprized as I did not have any indication of this 6 months ago. It is only in my left eye. All he said was that he found the retinal fibrosis and let's take it one step at a time, first the catarcts with the bad eye first then he would send me to a retinal specialist and he could scrape it off. No other tests have been done.

I do not have diabetes or hypertension. However, I do have arachnoiditis, a disease of the spine. I just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my spine in April but no other recent surgeries. (surgery before that was for my shoulder 1 and 1 1/2 years ago)

As for my vision, I rub my eyes a lot I feel there is something in my eyes (probably the cataracts) but there does not appear to be any major distortion, I can read fine.

I was not able to get much info off of the web and the one article sent to me was very medical and hard to understand. It talked about some experimental stem cell therapies, I think, and my doctor said scraping so I am trying to find out more about the fibrosis and just what is the treatment. Mine was diagnosed very early.

Hope this info helps if you need any more, please let me know.
   Thanks for the information. By what you are describing it seems that you have is cataract and pre-retinal fibrosis. Retina is a membrane on the posterior part of the eye, on which image is formed of what we see. In other words, retina is the main visual part of the eye. There is a central part of the retina called macula on which most of our vision is present. Fibrosis is a reaction after any injury or inflammation. Pre-retinal fibrosis means that a this layer of fibrous membrane is formed on the surface of the retina (mostly in the macular area). This can cause a decrease in vision by pulling on the retina and wrinkling it (which causes wavy or distorted images) or leads to edema in the retina in that area. How much is the damage to the retina or how thick the membrane is, determined by a couple of investigations. One is FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) and the other is OCT (this is like an ultrasound of the layers of retina). In FFA, a dye is injected in a vein of the arm and pictures of the retina are taken to look for any leakage of the dye, which indicates edema of the retina due to the membrane. With OCT one is able to determine the amount of retinal edema and the thickness of the pre-retinal membrane. This membrane is seen more in diabetic patients, those who have had any inflammation in the eye previously or rarely an be present without any cause. Your eye doctor is right, the treatment is scrapping or stripping of the membrane, which is done by a vitreo-retina surgeon. But this is a delicate surgery and is taken up after doing the above investigations. Getting a cataract surgery before is a good idea, because then the retinal surgeon will be able to visualize your retina better and the FFA will be very clear.
Hope this information helps
Regards,
Dr. PG
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, MS