Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

spleen..his gall bladder but did also show signs..liver..his rib cage

My husband has just been diagnosed with an enlarged spleen. The ultrasound did not show any problems with his gall bladder but did also show signs of fatty liver disease. The pain he has been having (for several weeks) is on his RIGHT side under his ribcage and he has episodes of nausea but is only able to vomit a foam-like substance. Can you please give me some idea of what the next course of action should be regarding further diagnosis? I would also appreciate any further input you may be able to share here, taking into consideration you don''t know all the details. I''m curious as to why the pain he has is on his RIGHT side with the spleen is on the left side of the body. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

I just found your question and realize that it is time sensitive for you because you were seeking the answer before the doctor visit which is scheduled at 2:20. I will leave you an answer.

You are in the early stage of medical investigation. Typically, an enlarged spleen can be indicative of an underlying problem. Several conditions ranging from infections to liver disease and blood cancers can cause splenomegaly (enlarged spleen). Treatment is aimed at the underlying problem, and that is various diagnostic tests must be done. Yes, the spleen is on the left side of the upper abdomen. The liver is located on the right upper abdomen under the ribs. A fatty liver is not always unusual.

Please let me know how the doctor visit went.