Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

Hi, I had surgery 9 days ago, and I think what is going

Customer Question

I had surgery 9 days ago, and I think what is going on is is related to the either the medications used during surgery or the anaesthetics. I had a fissure in on the left side of my mouth, and my lips were extremely dry. I kept applying chap stick, thinking I must be dehydrated from the surgery and medications, although I was on intravenous fluids. 4 days later, out of the hospital, my upper lip swelled and tiny blisters were forming and bursting immediately. Mornings left me with an inflamed upper lip, and crust from the blisters. It has now been 9 days since the surgery and the blisters have migrated into the surrounding skin area, and has completely engulfed both lips. If I do not put anything on it, it is extremely dry, burns and itchy. The only thing I can tolerate is Blistex lip conditioner, and try my best not to spread the infection. Once the lip balm has been applied the blisters open, but the skin enjoys the moisture, but I am not enjoying the burning and throbbing. Both eyes were superficially infected, but that has passed quickly. What is interesting is the fact that where it started has not gotten better as it spreads from left to right. I also had cankers inside my mouth, throat and esphagus, but that has healed. And right now there is tenderness to the touch, underneath my chin, in the gland area. Other than this, there is no fever or infection from the surgery, and I have good energy.

I have allergies to latex, penicillin, erythromycin, tetracycline, ciproflauxin.

I am trying to figure out is this bacterial, fungus, viral, and what to do about it, or apply.

Thanks,

Karen
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It is not uncommon to have mouth throat or chin discomfort from intubation, post surgery. While under general anesthesia, a tube is put down your throat to assist you in breathing and it can irritate your throat. This will feel better in about a week. However, what you are describing should be evaluated by a physician quickly to rule out infection or to begin treatment. Unfortunately, super infections can be picked up while a patient is in the hospital and, if so, it needs to be treated immediately. Initially you can go to your general practitioner for examination and evaluation, and if necessary he will refer you to a dermatologist or an infectious disease specialist. Please make an appointment as soon as possible.

By the way, anesthesia can make you dehydrated and you do need to drink more than usual.

I am fond of alternative therapy as well! (I am also a big user of blistex, but now I love Burt's Bees lip balm). If you have developed an infection, then I do recommend treatment.

I hope all will be well with you!

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Terry, I was using Burt Bees, but it started to hurt! I have just immigrated to the United States, and have not qualifed for medical Insurance (it has only been 5 days in the USA. I did go to my GP before I left and got prescription filled for Apo-Cephalex 250 mg (when ever I travel, I always bring antibiotics just in case. Because of my profession,(functional medicine consultant, but all my books, ect have been packed away, I am in the dark!) I am trying to get to the underlying cause to know how to treat. Since this is not getting better, I am not sure if I should take the anitbiotic. As for the surgery for a surgical hernia, all is fine in that department!Suture healed well, brusing has diminished, and bloating is going down, bowels are working fine.
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

So your surgery was out of the USA, then. Honestly, I am so concerned about you, that I feel you must at least have a culture done of the blistered area. Herpes infection needs to be ruled out as well as any major germ (suberbug) that would require a very specific antibiotic to treat. This would be determined after cultures are done. In the meantime, be very careful not to spread the 'infection', by washing your hands very well and often. With your expertise, if you choose to take an antibiotic in the meantime, it can help, but you still need medical evaluation, because you very well may need a more specific antibiotic to treat the infection. You have indicated that there were signs of it spreading already.You can go to a dermatologist and explain your situation and see if they will work with you on financial matters or you can go to a walk in clinc or a local city or public hospital where they will treat you through the emergency room.

Terry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thnaks Terry,
Take care,
Karen
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Karen,

You're welcome. Please be well!

It is free to reply.

Thank you very much!

Terry