Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

I have a sharp stinking pain in my eyes. Eye strain perhaps

No Comment Added

Hello Mary,

Does the pain occur at any particular time or is it constant?

Do you wear contact lenses or glasses?

Do you do computer work?

How old are you?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX await your reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: The pain is particularly bad in the morning. I have had streaming eyes for last 2 days. I thought it may be Dry eye so I sued Lacri Lube at night and sterile drops during the day. I also took an antihistamine Zirtek in case it was aggravated with hayfever as pollen count quite high.

I do not wear contacts but I have new spectacles which I wear for close work, computer and reading.
I have to work on the computer several hours a day but have been taking frquent breaks.
I am 53 years old. Thanks you!

Thank you for the extra detail. The pain is worse in the morning because they are not blinking and lubricating as they are closed while you sleep. The Lacrilube is a very good choice for you since this is the initial treatment that is used. Since you still have the problem you should be seen by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. You want to be sure that you do not have any erosion of your cornea from the dryness. Please know that antihistamines have a drying effect and might make matters worse for you. Dryness of the eye would compound the problem, only making matters worse. Working at the computer alot can cause eye strain and sometimes there is a sensitivity to light (however, you did not mention that to be a problem).

PS. what do you mean by 'streaming eyes'?

Thank you and I wish you well!