Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have a tight - almost swollen like feeling in my throat ...

I have a tight - almost swollen like feeling in my throat when I swallow. However my throat is not sore. I also have swollen glands in neck - although not sore. Can hayfever cause this reaction?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

How long the problem is there?

Do you have any other disease? Any pain in the stomach?

Do you take any medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Have had problem for a couple of weeks. I am generally fit and healthy. I have an intolerance to MSG and for years this caused me pain in stomach - and IBS like symptoms. However since cutting this out of my diet, my stomach has been great - pretty much normal - I need to keep to a high fibre diet and occasionally need to take antacid more so around the time of my period.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

The problem of feeling of tightness in the throat along with swallowing difficulties may be due to reflux of acid , disorder of motility of food tube or esophagus , anemia or pressure from outside like enlarged mass , lymph node etc

However it may be due to anxiety or tension state also.

As you are feeling this problem for a couple of weeks you can have an examination by a doctor .

A check up by an ENT specialist & an endoscopy may be taken to find out the cause.

I hope this will help. Please press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: Could it be caused by hay fever? Would there be any harm in me leaving it for another few weeks to see if it clears itself as I don't have other symptoms? If it is acid - will this go away? If it is stress - would this cause swollen glands?

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
If allergic reaction is severe then it may cause tightness of throat.

If it is due to acid , it will not go away of its own .
It will need treatment.

Stress doesnot cause swollen lymph glands.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As stress does not cause swollen glands I am unsure why you suggested this? I was hoping for a more precise answer as opposed to the list of options. However thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

I hope you will understand that without seeing patient it is not possible to come to a precise diagnosis .

Even clinician needs the help of different tests to clinch it.

Any way thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I understand this - however I am unsure as to why stress was suggested if it does not cause swollen glands. Also you never answered as to whether i could leave it for a few weeks etc. However, again thanks for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Stress causes the feeling of tightness in the throat by nerve stimuli not by enlarging gland.
The cause of enlarged gland is different.
As to whether you will leave it for a few weeks or not will depend on your progression of symptoms.
It is not possible to comment on it on line.