Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

I have a fluid pocket in my abdomen, had a severe attach 3 ...

Customer Question

I have a fluid pocket in my abdomen, had a severe attach 3 weeks ago. The CT scan found about 2-3 liters of fluid isolated to a single area between the adomen wall and the mess that was surgically placed in my abdomen in late October of 2007. They put in a tube to extract additional fluid. There wasn''t any infection at the time, but now there is. The tube became plugged. They pulled it out today. When it was taken out, a substancial amount (approx 200-300 cc. flowed out). I am concerned that it is continuing to produce fluid. They are not certain what caused it, since it was so long after the surgery. Any help you can offer to this would be most appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about the problems that you seem to be having after the procedure,
As you are well aware, it can be tough to fine the cause in many cases of abdominal fluid collections.
In your case it may be reactive fluid related to the mesh placement, though it would be certainly a little odd coming so much time after the procedure.
Problems in the pancreas and the biliary tract can cause leakage and fluid collection.
Other problems like Tuberculosis, local abdominal cavity inflammation and rarely certain tumors too can lead to such fluid collections.
The assessment of the ascitic fluid collected will help in determining the exact cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated.
A repeat CT scan would help in finding the exact cause too.
In the meantime antibiotics maybe needed to treat any infection that may occur,
regards
Dr PG
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr PG M.D.'s Post: The information that you provided, was already something that I was aware of. I was hoping that with a different view, I would get closer to an answer. They have tested the fluid and haven't been able to target anything.
Well,
In that case I will opt out so that some one else can try to assist,
regards
Dr. PG