Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

I have been experiencing mild chest pain that often repeats ...

I have been experiencing mild chest pain that often repeats itself when I lean forward. It sometimes catches me by surprise and I have to stop what I am doing.

Where is the exact location of the pain?

What does the pain feel like? sticking, stabbing, ache, etc.

How long does it last?

How many times a day do you get it?

Do you have any health problems?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Left side of chest. Like a toothache, sometimes stabbing.   Can last seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. Mostly at night and early morning. No known health problems. Recent weight gain of 20 pounds. Normally very active, but recently promoted to new job with high stress.

It is always safest to have chest pain evaluated by the doctor. This sounds very much like gas pains, especially since they come and go. When you lie in bed, be on your left side to encourage passage of gas. Are you having normal bowel movements? Why do you think you gained the weight? You do have to be very aware of your high stress and find ways to reduce it, because it will have an effect on your body.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am going to schedule a full physical tomorrow with my primary care physician. I have gained weight due to lack of exercise. I was exercising 5 days per week using a tread mill and a row machine, but due to my job responsibilities, I have become lazy. My primary concern is that it follows no specific pattern. I can repeat the pain that is more pronounced when I bend forward.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have not had any GI problems, but I do have family history of them. BM's have been normal.

I am glad to hear that you are going to have a physical done because the doctor will do an electrocardiogram to see if there are any cardiac changes. This is a good time for you to focus on being healthy. Be careful with your daily menus. Reduce fat and increase fiber. Drink plenty of water. You don't have to do a rigorous exercise program, but try to get back into exercise.

Please let me know when you schedule your visit with the doctor.

Be Well!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.

Thank you and please keep me updated after your doctor visit. It is free to reply.