Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

My husband was diagnosed as having a few mini strokes. He ...

My husband was diagnosed as having a few mini strokes. He recently went back for another MRI as a follow up. The Neurologist said he has white matter on the brain which has not changed in size since his last MRI. She now wants him to go for a spinal tap to check for either MS or Cancer. What is your advice? All blood work was normal. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Is your husband having any symptoms?

Did the doctor explain to you why she wants to check for MS or cancer in his spinal fluid?

Thank you!

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He had headaches,dizziness,a slight loss of memory..like trying to work a remote control. She said that MS mimics symptoms such as mini strokes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He has no apparent symptoms now but she told him he could wait for 3 months for another MRI tp see if there has been a change in the white matter. She said it should get smaller but has not changed. Or... he could just get the spinal tap now.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this site a joke? You are not answering the question why?
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

I apologize for taking 12 minutes to provide an answer. I wanted to be sure that it was complete.

The cerebrospinal fluid contains several substances. The brain and spinal cord are bathed in this fluid. A spinal tap that reveals a high nimber of antibodies and oligocolonal bands or certain proteins, can be suggestive of MS. This is how a diagnosis is made or ruled out. However, a "negative" spinal tap does not rule out MS or other diseases. The diagnosis is usually made by combining other diagnostic procedures such as MRI.

Take a look at the websites below and let me know if you find them helpful.

http://ms.about.com/od/multiplesclerosis101/a/ms_diagnosis_2.htm

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/guide/multiple-sclerosis-diagnosing

Sincerely,

Terry