Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

My husband was diagnosed as having a few mini strokes. He ...

My husband was diagnosed as having a few mini strokes. He recently went back for another MRI as a follow up. The Neurologist said he has white matter on the brain which has not changed in size since his last MRI. She now wants him to go for a spinal tap to check for either MS or Cancer. What is your advice? All blood work was normal. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Is your husband having any symptoms?

Did the doctor explain to you why she wants to check for MS or cancer in his spinal fluid?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He had headaches,dizziness,a slight loss of trying to work a remote control. She said that MS mimics symptoms such as mini strokes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He has no apparent symptoms now but she told him he could wait for 3 months for another MRI tp see if there has been a change in the white matter. She said it should get smaller but has not changed. Or... he could just get the spinal tap now.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this site a joke? You are not answering the question why?
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

I apologize for taking 12 minutes to provide an answer. I wanted to be sure that it was complete.

The cerebrospinal fluid contains several substances. The brain and spinal cord are bathed in this fluid. A spinal tap that reveals a high nimber of antibodies and oligocolonal bands or certain proteins, can be suggestive of MS. This is how a diagnosis is made or ruled out. However, a "negative" spinal tap does not rule out MS or other diseases. The diagnosis is usually made by combining other diagnostic procedures such as MRI.

Take a look at the websites below and let me know if you find them helpful.