Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

My eyes are matting up all the time..itchy

Dear Health Experts,   I thought I had pinkeye and have been taking eyedrops for, but is not clearing up! My eyes are matting up all the time and are itchy and feel gritty and burning and sensitive to light. Please help. Thanks Debbie.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Debbie,

Why did you think you had pink eye?

Did the doctor prescribe the eyedrops for the conjunctivitis?

Have you contacted the doctor since you have been using the drops to let him know that they are not working?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: I had been using a doctor at wal-mart who is no longer available.   My daughter had pink-eye so I thought I had gotten it from her.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Yes, pink eye (conjunctivitis) is highly contagious. However, you shouldn't be using that medication for so long especially since there is no improvement. You need to have your eyes examined by your GP, optometrist or an ophthalmologist. After proper diagnosis is made, you will be given other eye drops.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your response, I now don't have dr. or insurance, and was hoping you knew what the problem was, and could be treated at home? Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks, Debbie.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

You can treat it by yourself. First, pull your lower eyelid down and see if it is red. This occurs with conjunctivitis. Second, if there is eye drainage. You can apply warm soaks and clean your eyes using a moist cotton ball. Do not reuse the cotton ball and always use a different one for each eye. Wash your hands well. The only potential problem is if the infection progresses to your cornea, then it would effect your vision.

If you do not have improvement within a few days then you will need medical investigation to prevent vision problems.

Good luck. I wish you well!