Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I get terrible itching on my ankles and feet, I do not ...

Customer Question

I get terrible itching on my ankles and feet, I do not have diabetes or allergies. I do have Lupus and varicose vain on my feet and ankles.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

This is a common symptom when you have a fungal infection called athlete's foot. It can be treated with an over the counter anti-fungal called Lamisil which is applied topically to the affected area. You should feel improvement within a few days. Good hygiene is very important. Keep your feet very clean and dry because this can spread.

If there is no improvement after treatment then a visit to your GP or a dermatologist will be necessary.

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is not a fungus or athele'e foot. My feet have been checked for that already. It is not an itching that is constant. It just comes on at differnt times. It runs as high as the ankle and only the top of the feet. I have healthy feet. I don't know it is because of the Lupus, meds or my fabromyalshia. I mentioned that I have many veins (small varicose) around my ankles and larger one on my legs. Not a fungus or rash or anything it just starts itching terribly.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information. It is most probably a lupus rash. Has your doctor suggested this to you. A very common trigger for this rash is environmental factors, especially ultraviolet light from the sun. Make sure you are covered at all times when out in the sun, wear sunscreen, hats etc. Make sure that your feet are not exposed to the sun. Ask the doctor about using a strong steroid cream such as Clobetasol, which is very effective with this type of rash and alleviates the itching.

There are many things that can cause a lupus flare up. Certain medications containing sulfa, smoking cigarettes and stress.

The best thing is to stay away from things that you recognize bother your condition and to control the symptoms as best as you can.

Please let me know if I can help you further!

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much, good answer. I like to garden very much and try to stay covered but my feet I like them "free" and barefooted.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Cover your ankles with sunscreen if you wear open sandals. If you wear socks, make sure they are 100% cotton and light weight so they don't retain moisture.

It is free to reply.

PS I love to walk barefooted as well!

Thank you and I wish you well.

Terry