Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have sharp pain in my left upper ear lobe, its a ...

I have sharp pain in my left upper ear lobe, it''s a sharp stabbing pain that just keeps occuring out of nowhere, it has happened before and it usually lasts for hours. It seems so weird, but it''s really painful. What is this? Also, my ear feels a little cold to the touch. I took some aleve and it seems to have helped. This has happened to me in the past but not frequently, I have also developed a lot of redness in my face sort of rash looking, but it''s not horrible.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.
How long have you had the ear pain?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
since I woke up this morning, it has subsided now, but lasted off and on for about 4-6 hrs.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Although you mention the ear is cold, I would be concerned about possible infection associated with this ear pain. Infection of the skin may cause facial redness.

If the pain is very severe then you need to see a doctor for a proper examination, so you may need to see urgent care of ER depending on your local facilities.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it's been happening off and on for the past year,but not frequently. Do you think it could be part of a bigger problem? I have read that ear lobe pain could be associated with lupus. Can you have a skin infection and see no outward signs of it?
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

It can be associated with reduced circulation as part of Reynaulds syndrome although there is usually a color and temperature change. You mentioned that your ear was cold to touch so it is worth having Reynaulds ruled out through a proper history and examination.

As reynaulds can be linked with some connective tissue disorders then having blood tests for autoantibodies should clarify if there is an underlying problem.

Although age 38 is late for onset of Reynaulds.