Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

Can I take Benzonatate (tessalon) and mucinex cough

Can I take Benzonatate (tessalon) and mucinex cough suppressant at the same time?

Did the doctor prescribe both of these medications at the same time for you?

What are your symptoms or diagnosis?

How long have you been coughing for?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I had a URI and the doctor gave me a 5 day Z Pack and Tessalon Perles (Banzonatate) to take for the cough. I felt great until yesterday - the 1st day after finishing the Z Pack. The cough is non-stop and killing me. I have over the counter Mucinex (expectorant and suppressant) at home. Can I take the Mucinex and still take the Tessalon Perles to try and suppress the cough?

PS - the Tessalon does not seem to be working as well anymore to stop the cough.

After 5 days of z-pack and no improvement, you must call the doctor. You probably need another round of antibiotic to treat the infection, otherwise there will be no improvement in your condition. No interactions between guaifenesin (mucinex) and other medicines have been recorded. Drink plenty of water while you are taking guaifenesin; this will help loosen the mucus. It will loosen the mucus in your lungs and encourage expectoration. It won't stop the cough. Tessalon on the other hand works to control the coughing. I do not recommend taking them together without speaking with your doctor first.