Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

results of an mri scan and i have sprained a tendon

i have had the results of an mri scan and i have sprained a tendon. I had been playing football 6 tims a week. What does this mean and how can I treat it myself? (i cannot see my consultant for another 2 weeks and want to know more now, as it''s stopping me from working)
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

When were you injured?

When was the MRI scan done?

Which tendon did you sprain?

Did your doctor tell you the results? What did he tell you to do thus far?

What kind of work do you do?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX await your reply.

Terry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my knee has hurt for a number of months. maybe 5.

in early May, i was playing football and had to stop due to pain and discomfort in the knee that was worse than previously felt. i saw a GP, who suggested cartilage ware and told me to cut down the football and i'd be ok to play again in 2 weeks. I had no improvement, so saw another GP who also suggested a cartilage tear, or tendonitis and referred me to a specialist. The specialist suggested torn meniscus and arranged an MRI. I had the MRI on 15th June. I called my specialist yesterday, who said he had not yet received my results. I did not believe him, so contacted my GP, who told me they were sent on the 19th June!! My GP told me there was no meniscal tear, but a sprained tendon. That is all the detail I have. At that point, told me I must wait to see my specialist again to discuss in full.

I am self employed and have a logistics/distribution company and need to have full movement as I do a lot of manual work - lifting, carrying and packaging. As I'm self employed, no work = no money = trouble!!

Please bare in mind that I play(ed!) a huge amount of football and 5 a side on astro turf. I should have rested from football when i first had knee pain - but as it was bareable, i played through the pain.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also, the pain is on the outside of my knee and feels like a big click and stabbing pain when i exercise
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
u there??
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

I was doing research for you, as well.

I fully understand you and please know that you are not alone. You seem to realize some of the effects of being an athlete and I know it is difficult for you to stop playing. I also know that you realize that it is time to rest your knees. This is the best and only thing that you can do for now until you see the doctor for definitive treatment. Look at the website below to see how the knee joint functions and the different tendon injuries that can occur.

http://football.calsci.com/Knees.html

Tendonitis, which is inflammation of the tendon can cause the pain. Symptoms often include pain, swelling, and difficulty in walking. You can take an anti-inflammatory for relief. You probably will benefit from wearing a knee brace but of course the doctor would provide that for you. In the meantime, you can buy a soft knee support at a drug store and use it for when you are working. Specific treatment for knee problems will be determined by your physician.

Please be sure that you have an appointment set up with the specialist (who should be an orthopedist or sports injury doctor.)

Hang in there!

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your reply. however, i'd already found that information myself on the web. i had already guessed my problem is tendonitis or runner's knee. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

You are welcome

terry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was hoping you'd be able to offer me advice on treating the injury and speeding up recovery. For example, is rest and ice packs the best plan of action?
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Since tendonitis is an inflammation of a tendon, the treatment is to reduce that inflammation. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications (NSAIDS) are used such as Ibuprofen, motrin or aleve. These meds are effective at pain relief and reducing swelling. A common side effect of these meds is stomach iritation, therefore you should take it with food and do not take them for a long period of time since they can cause stomach ulcers. You can apply ice packs, however keep in mind that they are most effective within the first 48 hours and then the effectiveness diminishes. Apply ice pack for 15-20 minutes at a time in an hour. In other words, 20 minutes on and 45 min. off. Keep your leg elevated above the level of your heart while icing -- this will further help reduce swelling. Resting is very necessary. Perhaps you can apply for disability at this time.

I hope this helps!

Terry