Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

right head..throat (canker sores, I think) and ear pressure

Three days ago I became suddenly dizzy, almost fell down, then recovered. Had some right ear "stuffiness"/pressure. Next morning, woke up with *extreme* vertigo/nausea and vomiting/headache. Turning my head caused vertigo, I could not walk without assistance for 10 hours, slowly improved since and now I''m near normal except slight lightheadedness, fatigue/lethargy, white oval sores deep in throat (canker sores, I think) and ear pressure/pain is increasing. Also have a very sore place deep in my throat on side with ear pain, probably a deep canker sore (I can''t see it).

Background: I have Hashimoto''s and environmental allergies, extensive uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts but no major medical probs.

Perhaps relevant is that I''ve been getting headache and sore throat/ear pressure and canker sores every month at end of menstrual cycle (near the end of my period). Could this just be a worsening of that in some way or is it different?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Are you taking thyroid replacement medication? The symptoms that you describe sound more of a viral or bacterial nature. You should be examined by your general practitioner for a definitive diagnosis. If you have unnecessary fluid in your ear, then that can cause dizzyness and unbalance. This can be cleared with decongestant,or antibiotics, if an infection is present. Vertigo itself can produce nausea and headache. You can continue the tylenol or ibuprofen, whichever works best for you.

A doctor must examine and culture your throat for strep infection. If it is positive, then you will be treated with antibiotics. What you have described in your throat is not a canker sore, but more of an infection which can sometimes abcess if left untreated.

Sometimes the body's resistance is decreased during menstruation because of hormonal changes. However, you should not have these symptoms every month.