Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic
Experience:  U.S. Army Medical Services Corps, and Special Forces Med School, Ft. Sam Houstan, Tx; EMT U.AK

arm..i read that people that have low immune systems (hiv) show pos.

Customer Question

i recently rec a tb test, my arm is all red. does this mean that i have tb, i read that people that have low immune systems (hiv) show pos.. does this mean there is a chance i have hiv. if i have tb will i be able to go to work, i work in a hospital.
my mom tells me i have a uncle that was a carrier of tb. very scared?
Category: Health
Expert:  Edward Johnson replied 6 years ago.

Dear cookie,

Thank you for your question.

This condition does not necessarily mean you have tb or even have been exposed to tb.

Tell me, how long ago was this test?

Waht kind was it? was it the needle under the skin method?

or was it the pin prick?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: the test was yesterday the 30th at about 1330, it was a needle under the skin test. i had a test which was the same type of test on the 23rd, but forgot to go have it rechecked, and when i remembered, they said it was to late, i would need to have it redone. when i went to start a new job yesterday, they gave me the new test. by 2200 last night i had a red place abot the size of a quarter?

Dear cookie,

Thank you for the additional information. At this point, this reaction is merely indicative of a local reaction.

It is not definitive for any indication of exposure to turbuculosis or any idication of a weakend immune system due to HIV.

it takes 48 hours in order for any definitive reading to be considered.

A raised bump of 5mm or greater is indicative of a positve result.

The most likely cause of a positive result, based on the history you have given, is an exposure to TB in the family or else where.

Note that it does not mean you have TB, it is merely indicative of an exposure.

You can read about this at this site: http://www.medicinenet.com/tuberculosis_skin_test_ppd_skin_test/article.htm

The redness of your skin at this point could be an early indication that there might be a positive result, but it is too soon to tell.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your help, there is no raised bump, just redness, and since i talked with you earlier today, it is not quit so red. thanks again for you help.

Dear Cookie,

this si good. At 48 hours the nurse reads the test, which means she or he looks for a slightly raised bump at the site where you are seeing it red right now.

They will measure that raised bump. If it is 5mm or more then it will be considered a positive reaction.

By now you may be at 48 hours, so you can check to see if there is a raised area. BUT, even if you do not see it, you still need to make the appointment to have the nurse look at it.