Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

my ear is clogged up and it constantly rings

i was sick last week with a cold. it stopped up then like an ear ache but now it is just stopped up and all i hear is a ringing sound. i have tried dbrox and ear pain drops from cvs. my cold symptoms are gone but my ear is still clogged up. it's just in one ear.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

The ringing of the ears is called tinnitus.

Attacks of cold or upper respiratory tract infection may cause the sensation of blocked ear by obstructing the Eustachean tube connecting the middle ear with the throat.

Blockage of the tube leads to pressure difference & the ear drum may get retracted to cause the blocked sensation.

But as there is ringing in the ear also , inner ear involvement must also be excluded.

I feel you should consult an ENT specialist to get your ear examined.

I hope this will help. Please press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there any drops I can try without having to go to the doctor? Or any medication that may work.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any discharge from ear?

Any pain on pulling the ear?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No disharge or pain just clogged up, ringing and i can feel my heart beat. it doesn't hurt at all it's just annoying
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Ear drop is unlikely to help at this stage and without looking at the condition of your ear drum it is not advisable also..

You will probably need oral medicine to relieve the symptoms.

Thank you.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience