DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I am having a colonoscoopy in two weeks and I am scared. I ...

I am having a colonoscoopy in two weeks and I am scared. I was having abdominal pain. I was completely worked up. Urine had some blood in it due to kidney stones. Blood work was O.K. but my lymphs were 44.6 and my RBC was 4.37. My WBC was 6.0. I had a pelvic exam-normal, a CT -O.K. and a transvaginal ultrasound-normal. I had a stool guaiac and a fecal occult-no blood in stool. I had a CT with barium drink and IV contrast dye-finding was mild wall thickening of colon. My doctor gave me some amoxillin to take for six days in case there was an infection, but I never ran a fever or threw up. I was constipated, but now I am not. I had taken Metamucil and Benefiber for a couple of days but that gave me pains and diarrhea. I also was givwn flgyl and cipro but that gave me extreme nausea and I could not eat, so I lost weight. I am eating now, and gained a couple of pounds back. Could I have cancer? My doctor is not the least bit concerend and said my colonoscopy was elective.Is the test safe?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for using just answer,

Yes colonoscopy is a safe test.

This is painless test in which your doctor inserts the colonoscope into your rectum.

Colonoscope contains a tiny video camera at its tip for visualization for walls lumen of large intestine directly.

If a a polyp or abnormal tissue is found, your doctor may choose to remove it or destroy it with cautery

Biopsy is also taken during the procedure if required.

If you CT-scan was normal there is very less chance of you having cancer.

Increase bowel wall thickness can be due various reason including infection i.e colitis.

For details about the procedure please visit: