PaulaNP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Nurse Practitioner; 36 years experience with adults, geriatrics,and children;Therapist

I get dizzy. Blood pressure is normal. Diet hasnt ...

Customer Question

I get dizzy. Blood pressure is normal. Diet hasn't changed. I am otherwise healthy 62 year old male. The dizzyness is not related to a time of day, or food intake. I have had blood tests, but can't find the cause. It comes and goes sporatically.   Lasts about an hour. Sometimes I get upset stomach and vomit. Dave
Category: Health
Expert:  PaulaNP replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry that you are having such problems. You do not mention the typ of docs that you have seen. I would recommend a neurologist or an ENT specialist. The neurologist because of the nausea and vomiting you mention. The ENT because you may have labrynthitis or meniere's disease or benign vertigo. If it is one of these, medication and a special physical therapy treatment may be of help.

Here is some info for you:

I hope these help you in the right direction for proper diagnosis and treatment. Thanks for writing JA, Paula
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Paula:
    You sent me in the right direction. I read up on Labyrinthitis and I have all those symptoms: nystagmus, nausea and vimiting, surroundings moving, sense of falling, tinnitus,and loss of balance. So it may be bacterial or viral. I don't think it is bacterial. Only one factor which doesn't seem to fit is that these symptoms are transient. They are not long term (1 to 4 hours duration)then months before the next episode. Do you have any other suggestions? I am a truck driver and when this happens I have to stop until the symptoms leave. Thanks Paula. Dave
Expert:  PaulaNP replied 8 years ago.
I don't have a definitve answer for you. It may be that you are early in the illness, and it may become more frequent. The only way to find out which problem you may have is a good history and physical. If you can keep a diary of what you were doing at the time, what you were feeling (anger, stress, anxiety, fear), meds that you took ( including over the counter meds), how long it lasts, etc then this info can help the doctor determine the cause. Also, make sure someone listens to your carotid arteries for a certain noise, to make sure there is no blockage developing.

Take care, Paula