Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

my levels for medications and how to refill them. is the doctor

Customer Question

hello, i do not have a thyroid. i have been taking levoxyl for years. i want to know if there is a way to check my levels for medications and how to refill them. is the doctor the only one who can do this? do i have to see an endocrinologist? what would an endocrinologist do for me? i am perfectly healthy just no thyroid. also, if i decided not to take the pills any longer, what would happen to me?
thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 6 years ago.
If you have no thyroid, then you would need thyroid replacement therapy for your entire life, since thyroid hormone is essential for a normal healthy person.
You would need your physician or an endocrinologist to renew your prescription,
If you stop taking the thyroid hormone you will develop symptoms of hypothyroidism like a lack of energy, constipation dry skin, feeling cold, slow heart rate, swelling of the body etc.
regards
Dr. PG
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, MS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i understand and thank you very much. is this the only way to refill my perscription? can i just test my blood my seft and take it to a lab? why so import. for an endocrinologist. my physician will not refill my perscription unless i see my endo. i refuse. just a question.....
You can test your blood in a private lab, however the prescription can be filled only at the discretion of the doctor(s).
There is no reason why your physician cannot fill it up, but I suppose he wants you to go to the endo for a reason.
You can ask him about this, but the bottomline is that this is a prescription medicine, so a physician is needed to fill up the prescription,
regards
Dr PG
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello, i just want to know the importance of an endocrinologist. do i really need to see one? i am only taking levoxyl so only my blood is being checked for my tsh level. what is the importance in seeing one? or am i ok not to see one? what is the importance of having an iodine treatment if one was already done 10 years ago? thank you.
The reason for seeing an endocrinologist needs to be discussed with your physician, it maybe related to a "routine" visit to assess whether any further tests are needed, or should a tapering be attempted, or the dose be changed for the Levoxyl that you are taking.
I am not sure as to what you mean by iodine treatment done 10 years ago, can you give more details about this,
regards
Dr PG
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sure, good morning... i was given an iodine radiation b/c they found a small nodule and the outside of it was non-cancerous). now he plans to do another one. i am fine. the meds are fine. check my blood more than once a year. now my physician tells me to go and see one? i'm sorry, but i think this is all about money. and when i refuse, then they don't want to refill my rx.
:-)
I really cannot comment on that, not that I am sticking up for my colleagues, but the information that you are providing is not sufficient to even make an educated guess in this regard,
I would believe that if it is an EGO thing (& us doctors can have big ego), it would be better for you r health to actually get an endo opinion, you do not have much to lose, and it maybe of some benefit.
You could try asking as to why, with all your normal reports, and excellent health, do you need an endo opinion at present, you have a right to know that,
regards
Dr PG