Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

very active person who plays golf twice a week and walks a lot

my wife developed fibromaligia several years ago. she is a very active person who plays golf twice a week and walks a lot. however in the last 6-9 months i''ve watched her gain weight about 8-12 lbs. her legs and thighs swell up. she uses no salt in her food drinks a lot of water. has had 2 blood tests, ultrasound and seen a heart specialist, stress test. every test has comeback negative. she has also gone to an endocrinologist. any suggestions on what we should do next?
Hi Karl,

What drugs is your wife taking? Is her activity level the same now as a year ago?

Thanks, vj
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
bea only takes allegra 180 mg only when her allergies bother her. takes a multi vitamin. take's tylenol only for pain of her fibromalagia.
Hi Karl,

Well you just destroyed my suspicions. Often people with fibromyalgia are put on tricyclics or other drugs that lead to significant weight gain. Since you mentioned thigh and leg swelling, I am assuming fluid is the source of her weight - true?

Are both her legs swollen from the foot and ankles all the way up to the thigh? Is it obvious swelling and does it cause her any discomfort?

Thanks for your patience in responding to my questions,

PS: I am going to have to go off line within the next few minutes as I have to see patients for the next several hours, but will get back to you as soon as I can. However, if you would like, I can forward the question to someone else. I am not sure, if you are in a rush or not. Let me know and I will certainly respect your wishes. Thanks -vj
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, it causes bea alot of discomfort, but she is a real trooper and doesn't let her down. both legs and knees are constantly swelling. if you can pass this question onto one of your colleagues i would appreciate it.
thanks you
Victoria asked me to take a look at your qestion:

You mentioned that she has had heart tests and was seen by an endocrinologist - I assume that her heart tests and thyroid function was normal?

What reason has been given for the swelling by her doctors?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
all tests came back normal. also nobody has a real explantion.
My next thought would be that the swelling in the legs is the result of vascular problems (veins that are not returning fluid back to the heart normally because of incompetent valves in the veins in the legs) This link has some information on this including a diagram

Since other tests have not lead to a diagnosis, an evaluation by a vascular surgeon would be a reasonable next step.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your help, it was is an answer that we can try. Customer
Your very welcome. I hope this approach helps.