Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience:  A Registered Nurse for 19 years.

lower left back pain just above my hip..muscle tenderness

Customer Question

For the past week and a half I have had lower left back pain just above my hip. I have been treating it with icy hot and ibuprofen. I cannot tell if the icy hot really helps or if I just think it does because when I have my husband try to rub it I think it hurts worse unlike a muscle tenderness where you can work it out. It sounds times through the day it takes my breath away because the pain is sharp and unbearable. I hate going to Dr''s over stuff like this but I have found myself at times wanting to cry like a little girl. Will this eventually just go away???
Category: Health
Expert:  Lani, BSN, RN replied 8 years ago.

With such description you provided, it would be difficult to determine the source of the pain without being examined and no due investigation. Much more we cannot say if such pain will eventually go or not.

There are many possibilities for the cause of your pain which include gastrointestinal problems such as ulcers , irritable bowel syndrome, GERD, problems in pancreas, renal stone, or possibly diverticulitis.

The unbearable sharp pains per your description makes me suspect more of renal stone however it is also possible that pain could be any of the possibilities as mentioned above.

I know, you are not so inclined to see a doctor, but with such sharp pains you had been experiencing, it would be at your best interest to see a doctor. Please don't let your self to suffer from such pain and besides it is better to find the cause to be sure it is not something serious. When the cause is treated, then that is the time we can tell if the pain will go or not.

Take care!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lani, BSN,RN's Post: with suspected reanl stones is it generally on only one side and if so does forms of topical anelgestics ever absorb pain?

Renal stone is usually on one side but it is also possible to be on both sides if both kidneys have stone formation. I can tell that renal pain is pretty intense and topical analgesics won't be of much help. Mild analgesics are usually not so helpful. Any pain pills may not be so helpdful as well because the effect is not immediate. Analgesics given by injection usually provide temporary quick relief.

Ifever there is a presence of renal stone, the pain will persist as long as the stone is not released from the kidney.

By the way just to clarify that a suspicion on kidney pain as the source of your pain is not definitive. As I mentioned earlier, there are many other possible causes to be considered as the possibility.

Take care!