Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

I Have a 8 month old grandson. He has a runny

Customer Question

I Have a 8 month old grandson. He has a runny nose all of the time. The doctor he mother takes him to said it probably allergy''s. My question is> He has been gagging and coughing bad lately. He gags so bad that he''s face turns red , his eyes water and it seem hard for him to caught his breath. Is this normal for a teething baby, like his doctor says it is? Also he chokes on any food that is not #2 baby food. He scares me when I watch him.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 8 years ago.
Your grandmotherly instinct seem to be right on target here.
While I cannot comment with certainty since I am not able to physically assess the child, the symptoms that you are suggesting certainly do not seem to be normal.
These may relate to allergy (like suggested), or a reflux, or even a pertussis like illness.
Further evaluation is indicated by the pediatrician for evaluating for the same,
Anything that appears scary to grandparents certainly deserves a second look by the pediatrician too, especially with the symptoms that you are describing,