Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My symptoms start with pain in the lymph glands in the groin.Only

i have had a similar experiece about two years ago. My symptoms start with pain in the lymph glands in the groin.Only on the left side. Then I start to feel really bad like I am getting the flu.I get very cold shakes, and cover myself. In a few hours, I get a ful blown fever. My question is this. I had surgery on my left leg for a compound tib/fib 20 years ago, and have no problems. I also had a ligated perinial artery. There is a bunch of scar tissue on my lower leg. I was told that I had developed celulitus last time, and cleared it up with antibiotics. I would like to know why this is happening. I play tennis, so I do get open blisters on my feet. I also dig out my on ingrown toenails. We swim in a pool and fresh water lake in our development. The lake is tested daily. I am trying to find out if this is happening from an outsie cut, and that starts the painful lymph gland,and fever. Or is it that I get sick, and for some reason my body and leg react this way because of the work I h
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Open blister on your feet and digging ingrowing toe nails is sufficient to set the infection, which travels to inguinal lymph nodes, which are our first protective barrier for any infection to go beyond the territory of leg and become systemic. Once the infection and inflammation occur in lymph node (termed as lymphadenitis) cold shakes and fever occur which is again a response to the infection by our fighter cells, lymphocytes (which are abundant in lymph nodes) and neutrophils.

Previous surgery, which makes lot of scar tissue (which has precarious blood supply) and tying of an artery (again can make an ischemic or low blood supply zone, thus lowered power of infection control ) predisposes for the recurrent infection flare up.

Taking very good foot care and getting the treatment for ingrowing toe nail will help in preventing the relapses.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun