Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic
Experience:  U.S. Army Medical Services Corps, and Special Forces Med School, Ft. Sam Houstan, Tx; EMT U.AK

My son threw up on Saturday night from 9 pm to 4

Customer Question

My son threw up on Saturday night from 9 pm to 4 am - was fine on Sunday... My oldest daughter started throwing up at 3 am this morning Tuesday - We fly out tomorrow. What can my husband and I do not to get this or get rid of it quick
Category: Health
Expert:  Edward Johnson replied 6 years ago.

Dear camom,

Vomiting of this nature may be due to a serious condition. The tendency is to believe it is related to your son's condition. BUT, it may not be.

Since I am not able to examine your child, it would be doing you a disservice to even attempt a diagnosis in this environment. To "get rid of it" as you ask, requires a definitive diagnosis, so that the proper medication can be given.

There is a immediate action you can take to relieve the symptoms, but my recommendation is to take your child to the doctor. If your doctor can not see you right away, then you would be able to take her to the emergency room for this condition (active distress-vomiting, is considered a matter that can be seen in the ER).

At home treatement is very simple:

1. Withhold solid foods and any liquids you can not see through.

2. The main thing is to prevent dehyrdration and electrolyte losses. So you should give small sips of water, frequently. Clear water, or pedylyte works best. You can progress to other things that are considered clear liquid after the vomiting subsides, such as jellow and coolaide.

Most people would not think that you would want to give anything to someone who is vomiting, but small amounts of clear water are essential to reducing the vomiting and preventing dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

If your child has smelly projetile vomiting, it is essential to get her to the hospital right away.

The doctor can prescribe a medication designed to stop the vomiting so that you can travel.

Emetrol is one medication that is sometimes availble in your pharmacy in an over the counter strenght. But again, I do not recommend adminstering any medication for vomiting without seeing a physician, because you do not know what is causing it.

Please note, also, that this condition is most likely self limiting and will resolve itself in less than 24 hours if you limit intake to the clear liquids even if the condition is related to a bacterial or viral cause.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son had the stomach flu, as per what I wrote above he has not been sick since 4 am sunday morning... My daughter threw up last night...no throwing up since 4 am... I want to try and prevent my husband and I from getting sick in the next 24 hours as we are catching a plane
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was wondering if you were going to answer me ?

Dear Camom,

I apologize for taking so long but I wanted to compose a very clear and detailed explanation. I know you may not like this answer, and that is ok. Many people are mislead into believing there is a cure for the flue or flue preventive after exposure. While it is possible that a flue vaccine may prevent development of the flue after exposure, it is not common, especially after three days.

thank you for clarifying. If your son had stomach flu, you really are too late to prevent its occurance if you have been infected. The incubation period is within 3 days.

the normal prevention is to avoid contact by the following primary ways:

1. hand washing.

2. Handling the sick person's bedding and clothing with gloves while wearing a mask, and washing them right away as they are used.

3. Cleaning the sick person's bed linens and even the bed itself (mattress, rails and head and foot boards).

Most people do not go to this level in their homes.

Since you are all ready exposed, and not showing symptoms, it is difficult to determine if you are infected.

There is no medication to prevent the flue that you can take after exposure that will be effective.

Many people belive that there are medications on the market to prevent flue or to cure the flue, after they are exposed,but this is not true. Such over the counter medications have boasted in the past that they can cure the flue, but the FDA got involved.

now they only admit to releiving the severity of the illness.

Vitamin C will strengthen the immune system to help relieve the seriousness.

Zinc is known to affect the viability of the flue virus. BUT is does not prevent it.

This means you have to focus on preventing the N & V that will accompany the disease should you come down with it on your trip.

Over the counter anitemetics is limited to Kaopectate and peptobismal (or other brands of the same preperations).

A better choice may be a presription medication of Promethazine HCl or similar drug that can act on the nervous system to eliminate vomiting all together. But these may not be a wise choice because of potential side effects.

While it will not eliminate totally the feeling of vomiting, you can best reduce the chances of vomiting by reducing stomach contents.

If you eat very little or limit yourself to clear licquids, then you will not actually vomit, even though you may get some gag reflex.