Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

stage 2 endometrium cancer being treated with Megace..vaginal bleeding

What is the prognosis of someone with stage 2 endometrial cancer being treated with Megace? I know it is not a cure but I understand it can shrink the tumor, cease the vaginal bleeding and prolong life with quality. Is this correct? How long can you expect megace to hold off disease spread?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

The prognosis for stage 2 cancer is about 75% women with this diagnosis will survive 5 years after diagnosis.

There are two subsets of stage 2 depending on how far the cancer has spread. This will also affect prognosis, Your doctors will monitor your response to the Megace and there are other options should Megace not provide the expected improvement.

Those treatments can have severe side effects so using Megace is an approach which balances effectiveness against side effects. The type of receptors present on the cancer cells will affect your response to the Megace.