JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning

Black Hills spruce trees this weekend and now my eyelids have swollen

I was planting cranberries and planting Black Hills spruce trees this weekend and now my eyelids have swollen. I guess I must be alergic to one of them. Is there anything I can put on them to help get rid of this. I have also been in contact with poisin ivy but I no blisters around my eyes. can you help. I do have some (nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream) and also some (bactroban ointment). will any of these do the trick.
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 8 years ago.

Dear sir,

Your Nystatin/Triamcinolone cream is for a fungal infection and your Bactroban is for impetigo. Neither of those would be appropriate or helpful with your allergic reaction. I would suggest (nonprescription) Visine Allergy Eyes eye drops and (nonprescription) Benadryl cream applied to the eyelids, but be careful to keep the Benadryl cream away from the edges of the eyelids and avoid sweating which might carry it into your eyes. I think you would also benefit from cool compressing. I hope this guidance is helpful. Please feel welcome to write again if you have questions. Best regards, JanelleRPAC

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to JanelleRPA's Post: Is there any good creams or something for the poisin ivy?

Hi again,

You could try a (nonprescription) product called Ivy Dry. Benadryl cream will also help with the itching on the poison ivy spots but be so careful not to contaminate the tube if you are also using the Benadryl cream on your eyelids. Calamine lotion is a traditional topical treatment for poison ivy. Another old time remedy is Fels-Naptha soap allowed to dry on the affected skin. If these measures aren't controlling (drying) the poison ivy, you might need a short course of oral prednisone (prescription). I do hope this is helpful. Very best wishes, JanelleRPAC