Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I have sudden onset fatigue. No one has been

I have sudden onset fatigue. No one has been able to find the problem. Who would you reccommend in Arizona?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir

Kindly tell me about your symptoms? and there duration/
Is it for the first time?
Are you suffering from any disease? or have suffered in past?
Taking any medicines/drugs/alcohol/coffeee in excess
What was the diagnosis made by the other doctors?
Gone through any investigations?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I suddenly get very tired. My reflexes slow down so much I do not feel it is safe to drive.

This started Nov. 2006 coming back to Arizona from Branson, Mo. It got progressively worse. I had rapid weight gain, 10 lbs in two weeks. I started to exercise to try to lose the weight. I had several bouts of passing our or nearly passing out while exercising. The MD I was going to at that time told me to go to my cardiologist.

The Cardiologist put me thorough several tests, Treadmill, ultrasound of my heart and neck arteries. No problems found, except the technician recommended I have my Thyroid checked. It showed signs of some abnormal growths. I had bypass surgery in 2004. I had a blood clot a week later. I am on blood thinner and blood pressure medicines.

The MD did multiple blood tests and sent me to an Endricronologist. He stated that I might have low testosterone, and that the nodules on my Thyroid were nothing to worry about.

I switched MD's and the new MD prescribed testosterone cream. He also said sleep Apnea was probably the problem. I could not wear the CPAP. It caused sinus problems and did not help with the Fatigue problem.

This MD sent me to the Mayo clinic to a neurologist. He found I had neuropathy and my Thyroid was under-active. My synthroid was increased and this seemed to help some, but did not completely stop the fatigue.

A second MD at Mayo did a physical and more blood work. He recommended increasing the synthroid even more. He also had me wear an oxygen monitor overnight. He then ruled out sleep Apnea.

I still have the fatigue and now have stared having muscle cramps and more frequent headaches. I have a history of Migraines.

The last blood test I had showed my Cortisol high in the AM and within the normal range in the PM.
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The other expert is offline and I will help you. It sounds like you have been through alot of medical investigations and that is good to hear. You have done the correct things so far. Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) can create the extreme fatigue, however that is being treated now. My other thought is about your oxygen levels and possible apnea. I would recommend wearing a pulse oximeter to measure your O2 reading and heart rate, but it sounds like that might have been what the Mayo clinic doctor had you wear already. If not, then I do recommend discussing with your doctor the possibility of wearing one. Next is the consideration of fibromyalgia or Epstein Barr Virus (EBV). This is determined from symptoms and specific blood tests. If the doctor has not done these blood tests, then please discuss with him. Both of these illness can cause your symptoms.

Please be well!

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: The doctor at Mayo had me wear the oximeter and ruled out sleep apnea. One blood test I had early on showed that I had EBV in the past according to the doctor. I will ask my doctor to check or fibromyalgia. What test are required to test for fibromyalgia?
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply. Fibromyalgia is diagnosed after the doctor takes a medical history and is aware of symptoms, and then runs blood tests. There are certain tests results and symptoms, that when combined together, help the doctor make the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. There is not a specific blood test or x-ray that determines fibromyalgia. Symptoms are muscle aching, extreme tiredness, constipation and diarrhea, headaches, nausea and heartburn, sudden weight gain. Hypothyroidism can mimic fibromyalgia symptoms, and also EBV and high calcium. At this point ask the doctor if your blood calcium level was normal, as this would rule out hypercalcemia. When all else is ruled out, then the diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be made. Look at the website below and let me know if it helps you.

http://www.nfra.net/fibromyalgia_chronic_fatigue.php

By the way, it is normal for cortisol level to be higher in the morning and then fall during the day, as you mentioned.

Terry