Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My blood test on 5/30/08 showed H. Pylori out range @

My blood test on 5/30/08 showed H. Pylori out range @ 1.7 I''m finishing a treatment of amoxicillin biaxin and Omeprazole . That I am only able to take one day for the H. Pylori. I still have about the same symptons that I have been having for the past two years, acid reflux (have treated for that with Aciphex, Prilosec, and still wake up during the night with a bad sour taste in my mouth and my tongue feeling like sanpaper and the bottom of bird cage. That has not change. I''ve done an endoscopy nothing there.   Also during the day time at times I get the bad taste. I can''t quite put the finger on what is wrong. Any suggestions?

Greetings.

Are any investigations apart from what you mentioned have been done? Is there any over-weight or obesity issue?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Obesity issue, I weight 119 pounds 5'4"I am a 7 year cancer survivor, I take Femara 2.5 I have had an endocospy, colonoscopy. I think we are onto something with the H.Pyloris as the treatment for the acid reflux has not altered it. My concern is really the bitter taste in mouth especially at night, my bed is raised 3 1/2 inches. Phsycally I am in excellent shape, I work out or swim 4 days a week.

In my coloscopy the only thing was Mutiple diverticula found from transverse colon to sigmoid colon

Oh and internal, small hemorrhoids were found during retroflexion. With the endoscooy the doctor said it was acid reflux

Greetings.

I agree that it can be Helicobacter pylori issue and a triple therapy regime has to be taken for the full course to eliminate, these bacteria. But with a bitter taste occurring at night time it means the lower esophagus sphincter which normally closes, is not closing properly and let the acid content of the stomach come up to your mouth. This will need further investigations and a consideration of the hiatus hernia has to be done. Following can be done;

1) Barium upper gastrointestinal series

2) Esophageal manometry

3) 24 hours pH monitoring of esophagus

There are medication like reglan (metoclopromide) for enhancing esophageal and gastric motility. Taking them before the bed time helps in relieving the symptoms. This is a prescription medication and you have to get a prescription from your physician.

Please feel free, if you want to discuss it out further.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: Ok, I will take these possibilities to my doctor definitely you may have a point on lower esophagus, so basically I have acid reflux and the H. Pyloris

Yes, both of them can co-exist, so need some basic investigations to look for them.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun