Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

Symptoms sharp pain in lower esophagus every five minutes.

Symptoms: sharp pain in lower esophagus every five minutes. Mild stomach pain. Lightheaded. Some what of a shortness of breath. Any idea what the problem may be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 8 years ago.

Duration of these symptoms?

Is there any reflux or bitter taste in the mouth?

Any heart problems?

Does it increase after taking food?

Any black colored stools?

Shortness of breath is recent or was before also?

Any endoscopy before?

Any relief after taking prilosec?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Duration is 24 hours.

No heart problems

No bitter taste in mouth.

It does not increase after food consumption.

Stools appear to be fine.

Shortness of breath is recent but mild

I don't know what endoscopy is.

The biggest symptoms are the periodic sharp pains in my lower esophogus and light headed.

Additional info: I was diagnosed with acid reflux about 2 years ago. It hasn't been a problem for a while. I haven't taken Prilosec for over a year. I haven't been eating the best lately.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My doctor told me Prilosec can take 2-4 days to take affect. I took my first one this morning when I realized that the symptoms were not going away.

By going by your symptoms the most common problem that will give these symptoms is the acid reflux or gastritis.

Endoscopy means viewing of inside of the esophagus and the stomach to look for active ulcers or any complications of the chronic acidity.

Given the 2 year history I would suggest that you get one done which will confirm the diagnoses and also rule out any complications like stricture or barrets esophagus.

The only out of the context symptom is the breathlessness.It could be a separate problem itself like lower respiratory tract infection giving rise to both breathlessness and lower chest pain or related to any heart problem.The reflux disease can also give mild breathlessness sometimes.

I would suggest you continue with prilosec and bland diet.But If the pain frequency doesn't subside then we have to think of complications of acid reflux disease like perforation which is a hole in the stomach.In that case it becomes an emergency.

I suggest You visit the ER if the pain doesn't subside in next 2-4 hrs even after taking prilosec.If it is gastritis there should be definitely some relief after taking prilosec.A heart problem can also be excluded by taking a EKG at the same time.A abdominal X ray can rule out a perforation.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun.