DoctorS
DoctorS, Doctor
Experience:  MD, 30 years of medical practice
8358110

I have started to have a ache in my thigh muscles on both ...

I have started to have a ache in my thigh muscles on both legs. It feels like I just worked out doing deep knee bends or lunges. If I stand on my legs with the weight evenly distributed my upper leg muscle will ache and will eventually feel like they might be going to sleep or better to say they can get a tingling sensation. I have felt my pulse in my ankle and it seems to be fine and I have excellant blood work and my blood pressure is good except when I am nervious. Parents both lived to be 93 and I am 60 and not very active. When this started about 10 days ago the only thing I had done different was to walk up 6 flights of stairs about 1 or 2 times a week. I am at a loss as to what this could be. I have had some anxiety attacks but they are rare. Maybe twice in the last 10 years. What else would you need to know. I currently take a prescription trimentareen I think it is a low doseage. A potassium pill and I have taken Lunesta for almost two years
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorS replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

How old are you? Do you have any other medical problems aside from the anxiety? Do you smoke?

DrS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DoctorS's Post: I am 60 years old I have never smoked and I really don't think the anxety is a big problem. I tend to get nervous only when my mind panics at some feeling I am having. It has only happened 2 times during my life. when I was about 20 I would occasionally hyperventalate but once I knew what it was I was Okay.
Expert:  DoctorS replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

There are several possibilities, but one that exists is that what you have is a vascular problem known as claudication which is caused by a decreased blood supply to your legs giving you aching with exertion. It is like angina or chest pain of your legs, caused by the same type of disease. It classically is worse with exertion and is relieved at rest and can present in your thighs as you've described. It can be diagnosed on a simple in-office test called an ankle brachial index where your blood pressure is measured in your arms and legs and compared. I am attaching a link with more information: http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=hrt_dis/2048

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have more questions.

DrS