Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

Recently, I increased my zoloft from 50 to 100mg. I have ...

Recently, I increased my zoloft from 50 to 100mg. I have become constipated as a result. I know that is unusual. I took a stool softener daily for about 2 weeks. Can that make my stool look black? Also, I seem to have a different kind of bloatedness in my stomach. Any ideas.My concern is mostly the color of the stool. also, my liver, stomach cancer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Zoloft is known to cause both Dirrhea and Constipation,so it could be both the ways.
Gastro intestinal tract (stomach) related side effects are common with Zoloft which is a SSRI class of drug,and they usually go away with time.

Black color alone is not enough to determine that it is blood that is being passed in the stool.Black colour of stool may be because of Iron supplements, bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol), black licorice and because of blood in stool.

If blood is suspected in stool there is a test known as Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) test to measure the amount of blood. Which is a very simple test just requiring a sample of stool.

You can contact your Physician for this test if you are very much anxious about it.

Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..