Erin RN
Erin RN, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  National Honor Society of Nursing, work in highly skilled ICU

What is the best medicine for nausea/vomitting -- Zofran, ...

What is the best medicine for nausea/vomitting -- Zofran, Reglan or Phenergan? I have nausea/vomitting almost immediately after eating. Phenergan makes me very tired and out of it, but from what I read Zofran is mostly just for cancer/chemo patients. Does it work on normal nausea? I''m not exactly sure how Reglan works. Which would you recommend?
Category: Health
Expert:  Erin RN replied 8 years ago.

Hi there...

I'm curious to know what is making you feel this way after you eat...

The difference between Reglan and Zofran is the way in which they work... so if I were to tell you which one may work better for you, I'd need to know the reason behind your nausea/vomiting.

Zofran is not only for chemo patients... I administer this medication daily to my patients, most of which are not cancer patients, and it works wonderfully in most cases. It also can make you drowsy, however.

Reglan is used for patients who have gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), and it works by speeding up emptying of stomach contents so that it doesn't come back up into the esophagus. In some patients, this reflux causes nausea/vomiting and reglan can help with these symptoms.

I hope this helps you, and by biggest advice of all is to talk to your doctor about your nausea/vomiting... you need to find the cause of this problem, not just treat the symptoms... that is, if you haven't already.

If this helps, please click on the "accept" button. Also, positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!

Let me know if I can help you further!

Thank you! Erin