Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

My tongue is red, raw, sore & cracked looking,

My tongue is red, raw, sore & cracked looking, with sore throat, and heartburn?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.

What you are having is Glossitis, or inflammation of the tongue. It could result from various causes, such as infection (bacterial or viral), injuries, allergic reactions to foods, drugs, etc. and some systemic diseases like vitamin deficiency. Some precautions that you can try at home are: maintain good oral hygeine,rinse your mouth after every meal, use an antiseptic mouth wash like hexidine, avoid any new toothpaste, avoid sucking sweets, chewing gums, etc, avoid smoking and alcohol. Also take Vit. B supplements which you can get from your pharmacy, take two capsules a day.

If the symptoms have persisted for more than 10 days or there is severe pain, any swelling of the tongue or bleeding, then you should approach your doctor.

You may try this link for more information:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.