Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

The end of my penis is very sore and red. Its really ...

The end of my penis is very sore and red. It''s really difficult to keep clean too and even though I wash it twice a day, it''s always very sticky under my foreskin.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 8 years ago.
   What you are describing is balanitis. This is infection under the foreskin of the glans penis. The treatment is to keep the tip of penis clean. Sometimes despite all measures the infection persists. In that case a small cut is given on the foreskin to release it and help clear infection. Also you will need antibiotics to eat and to apply antibiotic ointment in the infection area. I would advise you to consult your doctor for a detailed examination and appropriate treatment.
Read more in detail below

Dr. PG
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi. My foreskin is not tight and I can roll it back easily so I don't know if the cut would help? The problem is that my foreskin won't stay rolled back so even after I wash and clean it, the skin rolls forward and then the glans becomes sticky again.

Would circumcision be a better option?

Yes, in your case circumcision seems to be a better option. That will eliminate any growth of bacteria under the foreskin.
Dr. PG
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I know most people who are circumcised have the operation when they are babies. As I am 33, will this cause any problems? How long will the operation take to heal? Will it be extremely painful?

Many thanks.
It is a very minor procedure. A small local anesthesia will be given at the site of circumcision and ten completed in 10-15 minutes. The healing should be mostly over after 48-72 hours of surgery.
Dr. PG