DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I am 40 yrs. old and recently diagnosed with Primary ...

I am 40 yrs. old and recently diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cirhosis. All of my liver enzymes are normal except for my alk.phos. and of course my Ama and Ana are not normal. I''ve been started on Urisodol to thin my bile. Is there anything I can do to decrease the inflammation of my bile ducts?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Ursodiol is the only FDA approved drug for treatment of PBC & slowing its progression.

Other drugs that may help the symptoms are cholestyramine, colestipol, rifampin, some opiod antagonists & some ant-cancer drugs. These drugs have not been shown to reduce the inlammation in liver or prevent progression of disease. Steroids have also been used to reduce inflammation, but the results are not consistent & proven.

Taking vitamin supplements (A, D, E, K) is also advisable.

For more information, please read this

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: Pbc is an auto-immune disese is there anything specific you can do for your immune system?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no approved therapy other than ursodiol that could retard progression of disease or the autoimune process.