Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I have feeling a pressure on the lower left side of my ...

Customer Question

I have feeling a pressure on the lower left side of my stomach for almost 2 days now. I have not had any fever or vomiting or outer bruising. I have taken a stool softner and i have had bowel/urine (no blood), but i still feel the pressure there. Could this be constipation? Period related?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your questionCustomer

Can you tell me how old you are?

When was your last menstrual period?

Was your last bowel movement firm or normal? Do you feel any better after the stool softener?

Is the pain cramping or sharp?

Any other medical problems or medications?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am 20 years old

i believe i had a perios last month (i am on cryselle)

i felt a little bette after my last bowel movement (although the first wipe had blood there was no blood in the stool or urine)..but some of the pressure has gone away

the pain feels like a tightness around the front of my stomach..cramping

i am a cancer survivor of 17 years and i have turners syndrome and i take synthroid

The symptoms that you are describing sound most consistent with constipation. Given the fact that you have turner's syndrome and that you are taking cryselle, the pain is unlikely related to your ovaries. Oral contraceptives are generally used to treat ovarian pain (called ovarian supression), and the incidence of ovarian agenesis (absent ovaries) is high.

Constipation is likely because your symptoms have improved with a bowel movement. If the constipation is significant, it can take more than one bowel movement to clear the hardened stool.

The blood when you wiped is likely related to an anal fissure, or a tear in the rectal lining. This is common when passing hard stools.

I would recommend trying an over-the-counter laxative and making some dietary changes to prevent this from happening again. I have included a link to some more information about constipaiton. Let me know if you have any questions or need any clarification.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/digestive/basics/037.printerview.html

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you for the advice. Just to give you an update..

the bleeding that was there the first time i wiped is not there anymore. and i d not have hemmorids

i do have ovaries, they are just not fully developed because of the TS (as you said)

a lot of the pressure that was there before is gone, but i still feel a slight sensation on my lower left side. Is this just some left over bowel waiting to come out? Or, could it be period related?

i have taken senekot, which i know takes a while to work.

thanks for the help

Thanks for the update.

Pain that is located specifically in the left lower abdomen is usually related to the colon. Uterine cramping typically involves both sides of the lower abdomen, but not always. Given the fact that your symptoms have improved with the previous bowel movement, it is likely that the pressure is related to the bowel. If it is related to your period, then I expect that it will go away within the next few days. Taking over-the-counter Advil or Motrin can help with pain related to your period.

My advice would be to be patient and wait for the laxative to work. If you uncomfortable, you could try Advil or Motrin and see if that relieves the discomfort. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and consider adding a fiber supplement to your diet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any clarification.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think that makes a lot of sense. It still feels like something is stuck on the lower left side and the feeling has been going from one side to the other (like you are describing)

I will try taking motrin if i become uncomfortable and drinking water.

I'm glad I could help! Take care.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. But do you think the feeling of "stuckness" in my lower left side will go away?
Yes. I think the "stuckness" will go away after you have eliminated the extra stool. The laxative should help with that. I would think that feeling will go away after one or several good bowel movements.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK..so there isnt anything i should be overly concerned about?

If the feeling doesn't go away after several bowel movements, I would make an appointment with your doctor. If you see more blood in your stool, I would be concerned. Make sure you follow the advice in the link included in my first answer on how to prevent constipation.

Please remember to click accept so that I can receive credit for my work. Feel better.
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience: Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK..i need help..the pain hasnt increased and no changes in symptoms..but now i feel the pressure in my upper abdomen (under my breasts)..and my leg is tingling..could the pressure be just gas pockets?