Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

My legs ache very bad when I lay down. Naproxen, Tylenol ...

My legs ache very bad when I lay down. Naproxen, Tylenol Arthritis, Ibuprofen - nothing helps. I went to the doctor and she told me it was bursitis (cause my hips also hurt) and she gave me the Naproxen which did not help. So, I went to a Chiropractor who said it is a pinched nerve in my lower back - I have had 3 adjustments so far and my legs still hurt. I called my doctor again and asked if I cold try a muscle relaxer and over the phone she said I had restless leg syndrome, which I KNOW I don''t, I do NOT have any "creepy crawly" feelings, nor do I feel any uncontrollable urge to move my legs! She wanted me to try Requip, but I don''t like all the side affects it lists!!! I have a banana every day, am taking Calcium Magnesium supplements as well as Vitamin B complex. Do you have any suggestions? If I SIT like I am now my legs do not hurt, when I stand/walk they don''t hurt either???? I can''t sleep due to the PAIN (more like when you have body aches with the flu).
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

If the pain is only affecting the large muscles of the thigh then that might indicate a proximal muscle problem which may be related to statin. Other things to consider would be a myalgia which can be caused by a wide range of problems including fibromyalgia.

If the problem was a trapped nerve then the pain would be in a characteristic pattern through the buttocks and down the back of the legs, perhaps as far as the foot.

You need a specialist review to determine exactly what is going on. You should try either a rheumatologist is the entire leg is affected or a neurologist if the pain is at the back of the leg radiating down.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: The problem is that the pain is randomly thighs, calves, some in lower back and hips too. This feels like when you have the flu, like Muscle ACHES (not PAINS) severe achiness.
The answers I keep getting seem to focus on PAINS/SHOOTING PAIN/SCIATIC TYPE PAIN/CRAMPS which is not what I have - it feels like extremely sore muscles....but there should be no reason for it, and it is lasting so far 2 weeks and nothing helps the pain. If it was "just" soar muscles I would think some type of medication would stop the pain so I could sleep.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

I would be inclined to see a rheumatologist to rule out a muscle related problem such as myopathy. You may need tests to establish if there is an underlying connective tissue disease or electrolyte imbalance.