DrNowicki
DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds

If someone is punched in the face will there be an

If someone is punched in the face will there be an immediate bump or egg that develops
Category: Health
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

Hi there.

The answer depends on how hard the individual was punched, the angle of the punch, and the location. Hits to the head or face do not always lead to bumps immediately. In fact, sometimes bumps do not form at all. It is possible, however, for bumps to form within seconds to minutes after impact.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

-Dr.John

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If someone is hit hard enough to leave a significant the bruise the next day would it be obvious at the time of the hit that the person was indeed punched?
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

Hello again.

It would be extremely difficult and almost impossible to determine the exact cause of the head trauma based upon bruising alone. Rarely patternes can be seen such as hand prints or knuckle prints. But this would have to be observed by a doctor or law enforcement agent to be certain. The bruise could result from any head trauma whether punched or if someone fell and hit their head or banged their head on a cabinet. Any of these could produce bruising.

The bruising along with history would be the best way to determine if the bruising was the result of a punch.

If you or someone you know was punched or assaulted, I suggest you contact your local police department to report this or go to a local clinic/hospital to have the injury investigated.

-Dr.John

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know you are not an attorney or the police. Let me explain. I am asking you this to determine my plan of action. How to proceed. If I should consider getting a medical expert involved. I slapped someone because she was going to hit me. I slapped her by her jaw line. It was with an open hand. There was a slightly pink mark there. My father was a witness to this. She is now saying that I beat her and punched her in the face. Some other people saw her that night and she had no marks on her face. 2 days later I hear that she has a big black eye. She took a picture of it. I know it was self inflicted. Therefore I need to know if there would have been any signs of the injury immediately afterward. As there were not. Thank you
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for clarifying.

It is unlikely that the black eye developed after an open handed slap. However, it is possible. If she was hit with enough force, the blood vessels could have broken and caused bruising. The vessels around the eye are fragile and black eyes can form from head injuries in general. Bruising could possibly be more noticeable 24-48 hours after the initial injury. That said, if the trauma was significant enough to cause a large bruise and swelling around the eye, this would most likely have been seen sooner.

I recommend you contact a local medical expert who may be able to see the pictures and do a little more physical exam to determine if the extent of the injuries were secondary to an open handed slap.

-Dr.John

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: the slap was not with much force and it was by the jaw line. My question was: If she were punched, as she says, and she was seen an hour later, wouldn't there be evidence of the punch? Thanks for your help. Some people saw her an hour later and they saw no evidence.
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

There would most likely be evidence of a punch 60 minutes after the incident if it were a hard punch.

If the slap was with little force and along the jaw line, a swollen bruised eye would be unlikely.

I still Iecommend you contact a local medical expert who may be able to see the pictures and do a little more physical exam to determine if the extent of the injuries were secondary to an open handed slap.

I hope that answers your question.

-Dr.John

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: This is my last question. I think. I appreciate your time. I have slapped myself, right next to my eye with pretty good force and no bruise UNDER my eye ever formed. If the punch were hard enough to cause bruising the next day, wouldn't it be detectable a 1/2 to an hour later? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Doctor John,

Are you going to answer this question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Doctor John,

Waiting for your answer
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

Hello again. Sorry, I was offline for a while.

Bruising may not be detected within 30-60 minutes after the slap, but there would most likely be swelling and redness. If the slap were hard enough, bruising would occur some time later.

I hope that answers your question.

-Dr.John

DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience: >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds