Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience:  A Registered Nurse for 19 years.
7581006

I have purchased COLLAGENLIFT distributed by DermaWellness ...

Customer Question

I have purchased COLLAGENLIFT distributed by DermaWellness Labs, MN. It is supposed to be from the Netherlands.    There are packets to be used with a glass of water or juice once a day. The ingredients are Vit C (300mg), E (60IU), Collagen Hdrofyate (10,600 mg) and Silica (SiliconDioxide) 1000mg. Are there any harmful effects of silica-silicon?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lani, BSN, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Gloria,

Silica or Silicon Dioxide is said to have some side effects when inhaled in small particles overtime which include bronchitis, silicosis, and some form of cancer.

When ingested in small pieces, it is said to be harmless.

There are some reports however, that the substance can possibly cause different undesirable effects though some of the theories are not scientifically based.

This links has more information:

http://www.ivanfraser.com/articles/health/sics.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide#Health_effects

Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a lot of reading to do now..however, I thought there would be a simpler answer

Hello Gloria,

As a simple answer, ingestion of low doses is said to be harmless but over exposure may have harmful effects but is said to be reversible. Inhaling the substance for longer period is where the danger is.

Silicon generally can be harmful to health if it is in high levels. At low levels, it generally does not cause significant undesirable effects. In fact silicon is found in many foods we eat and water we may also contai silicon.

I hope that helps.